See the Website
Nestled in the hills outside Crawfordsville is one of the best kept secrets in the Indiana wine industry. Coal Creek Cellars Winery, owned by Ron Wojtaszek, is housed in a 100 year old small red barn that redefines the meaning of intimate and elegant. The tasting room may possibly be the most relaxing and beautiful place there is to taste your next glass of wine.
Whether you are setting in front of the cozy working fireplace on a cold January evening or feeling the gentle summer breeze on the back deck while looking out over Ron’s beautiful vineyard, this is the place to experience wine at its best in Indiana.
While Coal Creek Cellars has a Facebook page, they have never had a website and Ron was very clear on what his goals for a website were to be: 1.) Identity: he wanted to communicate visually and with content how Coal Creek differed from other wineries, 2.) How to find us: being in the country Ron wanted a visiting Wabash College parent in Crawfordsville to easily find the winery as well as day trippers from Indianapolis or Lafayette, 3.) What we have to offer: Ron wanted the website to clearly show the 15 featured wines Coal Creek sells. Done effectively, achieving these 3 goals the website should contribute to increased year round sales for the winery.
The Woodhaven Group team met Ron’s challenges head on by taking the following actions:
· Ron’s wife, Chiral is an expert photographer and we tapped into her collection of photos of the winery.
· We took Chiral’s best photos of the red barn, tasting room and deck and incorporated them into a wide header at the top of the website that rotated. By doing this a new visitor considering coming to Coal Creek could quickly get the warm feel of the winery.
· We next incorporated Chiral’s photos of each type of wine and used the Woodhaven Accordion as the featured part of the home page. This included not only a photo of each bottle of wine in a setting of grapes but also a brief explanation of each along with the price.
· Below the Woodhaven Accordion we included a grid of 8 photos that cycled when one photo was clicked on. This dramatically enhanced the visual presentation of the website and how Coal Creek differs from others.
· A Google map was placed in the footer that could easily be enlarged to aid in finding the winery. Problematic was the fact Google Maps originally was showing the winery on the opposite side of Crawfordsville, 10 miles away. The Woodhaven team quickly corrected that mistake on Google’s part. It made us all question how many missed customers and sales Coal Creek had experienced prior to this.
· To make it easy for a potential visitor to contact Ron or Chiral we showed a phone number enlarged in 2 locations on the home page as well as a large contact form.
· Since it was expected that many of the searches for the website would be on a mobile device, The Woodhaven team designed the website using responsive web design making the website easily readable on any mobile device.
· A Content Management System was utilized that allowed Coal Creek to quickly make content changes to the website. This was especially important in the event a new wine needed to be introduced on the website.
· Google analytics was used to identify the number of visitors, time spent on the website and much more.
· Coal Creek hosts small fundraisers . As a result we added a “News & Events” section where announcements could be made.
· A Facebook icon was inserted that could not be missed to link the visitors to Coal Creek’s successful Facebook page.
Woodhaven is proud to have helped Ron and Coal Creek Cellars Winery realize their website goals.
We can attest that the only problem with Coal Creek Cellars is once you experience the warm relaxing feel of the old red barn and the gracious hospitality in the tasting room it is very hard to leave!!!